Monday, April 22, 2013

Flowers In the House



Featuring Red-Veined Dock (Rumex sanguineus)


Rumex sanguineus has a few common names: red-veined dock, bloody dock, bloody sorrel, bloodwort,  and wood dock.  They are striking in the garden.

Red-veined Dock, Red Bud, Azalea 

Red-veined Docks are low maintenance plants; they require very little care.  In fact, I don't take care of them at all and they keep coming back stronger and bigger every year.  I am slow in cutting off the flowers (which is surprisingly quite unattractive), so I get a few new plants every year.  I now have at least fifteen plants.  They are best grown in full sun to partial shade in average to moist soil.  They can also be grown around ponds or in a bog. They look great with red, deep pink, blue, and purple flowers.


Red-veined Dock, Red Bud, Azalea

Red-veined Dock is grown primarily as an ornamental foliage plant.  Even though this plant is edible, only tender leaves are edible raw or cooked.  They taste like spinach or chard with a hint of lemony tartness.

Red-veined Dock, Red Bud, Azalea


These beautiful leaves look great by themselves too!

Red-veined Dock



Try to grow them.  You will love them.

A beautiful plant that requires little attention.

What not to love!!! 

Christa


Jane at SmallButCharming is hosting another Flowers In the House Monday to shake off the Boston disastrous event.  Click here to see other Flowers In the House Monday posts.



<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="http://www.blenza.com/linkies/styles/default.css" /><script src="http://www.blenza.com/linkies/loc_en.js"></script><script src="http://www.blenza.com/linkies/opt_defaults.js"></script><script src="http://www.blenza.com/linkies/misterlinky.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.blenza.com/linkies/autolink.php?mode=standard&owner=cedarmerefarm&postid=23Apr2013"></script>

15 comments:

  1. Your arrangement is lovely. I'm not really familiar with red veined dock but it reminds me a bit of silverbeet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Penny,
      I wonder whether they grow in your area.
      Christa

      Delete
  2. Yay Christa, you joined in! And with that beautiful dock. I love the picture with the shaving mirror.

    Delicious eggs BTW.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      I am so excited that I am IN! This is really fun. I am glad you like the eggs. I will bring you more next week.
      Christa

      Delete
  3. I don`t believe I have ever seen this plant...but it is very charming in your beautiful arrangements.

    Thank-you for introducing me to something new and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there,
      Next time you go to a nursery, look for it in the herb section.
      Christa

      Delete
  4. Interesting and pretty flowers and leaves. Something new to consider...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise and Tony,
      Thank you for your nice comments and thank you for visiting.
      Christa

      Delete
  5. Christa... I wonder if the pretty red-veined plant grows wild here? I know I think i have seen it, but can't place it in the garden.The leaves are just lovely! They are a pretty element mixed with your flowers and are stunning on their own! Thanks for sharing something new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Next time you go to a nursery, see if they have it in the herb section. That's where I saw it last week in one of our nurseries here.
      Christa

      Delete
  6. Yes, what not to love about those leaves. Wonderful mixed with the flowers!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid,
      Thank you. I am glad you agree.
      Christa

      Delete
  7. Hi Christa,

    I always learn so much about flowers when I visit your 'farm'! Your arrangement is beautiful and who knew that the leaves, albeit only the tender ones, are also edible!

    Hope you had a lovely Easter and wishing you a wonderful week!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flowers and leaves look very beautiful.
    Great composition.
    Greetings.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very clever arrangement, Christa, because it seems so simple, yet everything works just right. I'm just learning how to arrange flowers. See my blog post "Inferior Design..." and have a good laugh at my expense. But I'm trying!
    http://csreyes.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/inferior-design-a-natural-talent/

    ReplyDelete