Monday, July 22, 2013

Flowers In the House - July


Cool Arrangements for a Hot July Day in Virginia


Fuss-Free Plants


I love Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria).  For some reason, the silvery color exudes coolness, which is much needed around here in Virginia right now - in fact, it looks almost like frost on a cold winter morning and who couldn't use some of that!  To me, Dahlias (Dahlia hortensis) also brings cooler temperatures to mind.  Together, these two are the perfect pair for a Virginia home in July.


Dusty Miller and Dahlias are elegant yet very easy to grow



Green Arrangement

Another type of arrangement I like to make when it's hot outside is one using primarily green leaves.  Unlike a typical arrangement, flowers play a supporting role in this arrangement.  Green, as Andy Kilbury (my guest Interior Designer from Albuquerque; see December 10, 2012 Post - Winter Decor -- the Front Porch) would say, is a "cool" color.

Incidentally, this combination would make a very elegant and unique boutoniere




Fresh Scent

Lavender is another great hot-weather flower -- the fragrant is soft and refreshing.  Our lavender did very well this year.  I love making lavender wreaths because the lavender is extremely easy to handle when fresh, and the whole room smells wonderful as the lavender oil is released whenever I gently press the blossoms.  They look very delicate, but they are incredibly pliable.

I am getting ready to make a lavender wreath






Hop over to 
flwrjane-smallbutcharming.blogspot.com/
and check out what other 
flower-obssessed people have
in their houses in July 

Stay cool & enjoy the summer
                          Christa







14 comments:

  1. Love the wreath idea. I need a lavender wreath to fill my apartment with that lovely scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      It was a very relaxing project. I think you will enjoy making a fresh lavender wreath. Remember to squeeze the blossoms gently whenever you want to release the lavender fragrance. Have fun.
      Christa

      Delete
  2. The dusty miller and dahlias together look beautiful, very cooling on a hot day, which is the opposite of our weather.
    I love lavender, it can be used in so many ways. Your wreath is a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,
      I remember your lavender cookies. They taste great. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
      Christa

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Christa. I need a big jug of dusty miller right now.

    What is that blue flower in your second picture?

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      It's speedwell (Veronica). They are very sweet, aren't they?
      Christa

      Delete
  4. I completely agree about the cool feeling with dusty miller! I like the lavender wreath idea, I might try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      Thank you for visiting. I think you will enjoy making a lavender wreath from fresh lavender. It's a lot less frustrating and messy than using dry lavender. If you end up making one, post it on your blog, ok?
      Christa

      Delete
  5. Love the dusty miller and dahlias together. A pop of color that is cool and refreshing. Just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise & Tony,
      Thank you for your nice comment.
      Christa

      Delete
  6. All of your flowers are lovely, but I am crazy for that lavender wreath! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      Try making a lavender wreath from fresh lavender. You will love it. It's very relaxing. You and Kate (see above, Katesblooms) should make and post your wreaths.
      Christa

      Delete
  7. Christa... Dusty Miller has always been a favorite. I often pair it with light pink begonias or golden yellow marigolds and am always pleased with the results. Your dahlias and dm make a lovely combo. Using the lavender in the wreath is inspired! Smiles...Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Light pink begonias/golden yellow marigolds with dusty miller: great idea! I will have to try it. Thank you for sharing those combos with me.
      Christa

      Delete