Friday, August 23, 2013

Our Winged Friends



Dragonflies and Damselflies

I was awed by the number and beauty of the dragonflies and damselflies that visited our pond.

Calico Pennant (Celithemis elisa) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Eastern Amberwing (Perithemis tenera) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Blue Corporal (Ladona deplanata) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Halloween Pennant (Celithemis eponina) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Halloween Pennant (Celithemis eponina) Dragonfly
Cedarmere Farm

Hagen's Bluet (Enallagma hageni) Damselfly (I think)
Cedarmere Farm

Damselflies
Cedarmere Farm

Mating Damselflies
Cedarmere Farm


It was magical to watch these energetic little guys zipping about just above the surface of the pond water.  

                                                                         Christa

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen so many different varieties. They are so pretty especially the blue ones.
    Dragonflies remind me of summer. Can't wait! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,
      Our summer is about done. It has gone by too fast, as it always does.
      Christa

      Delete
  2. Christa... What awesome photos. The blue ones are just lovely, but I think the Halloween Pennant is my favorite! How fortunate to have such interesting visitors to your farm. Now off to google and read about these charming insects. Happy week! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      I agree. There is something about the Halloween Pennant that makes it look very interesting. I think the name suits it well.
      Christa

      Delete
  3. Christa, I love dragonflies. These photos are awesome!! Thanks for stopping by with your wonderful comment. By the way, the ice bucket I ordered through Napa Style. I love it. I don't use it all the time but for special occasions, it's perfect!!

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jody. I will look for it and will try to make an ice bucket.
      Christa

      Delete