Monday, September 9, 2013

Flowers In the House - September



Old World Charm

I found a case of old (and dirty) coke bottles in a country store about 45 minutes from our farm.  Although I didn't know what I would do with it at the time, I liked it ... so I bought it (to my husband's chagrin).  Jane's invitation to Flowers In the House all of a sudden inspired me to make a flower arrangement with these coke bottles.

Vintage Coke Bottles "Flower Garden"
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage Coke Bottles "Flower Garden"
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage Coke Bottles "Flower Garden"
Cedarmere Farm


Garden Ensemble

My flower garden is busy making seeds for next year's crop right now, so there are only a few pretty late bloomers here and there.  But when I group them together in a small space, I would have a fresh and vibrant little garden to bring indoors.

Summer "Garden"
Cedarmere Farm

Dhalia,  buddleja (butterfly bush), and symphyotrichum (white wild aster)
Cedarmere Farm

Dianthus (raspberry swirl) and citronella geranium
Cedarmere Farm

Coreopsis,  yarrow,  dianthus (raspberry swirl),  symphyotrichum (wild white aster),
and celosia (pink flamingo feather cockscomb - by the yarrow and dianthus)
Cedarmere Farm

Dhalia,  lavender,  coreopsis, and dianthus (raspberry swirl)
Cedarmere Farm



The Coke Bottles

I don't know how to identify the age and value of the coke bottles I bought.  These are 6.5-oz bottles with very thick glass.  Apparently, this size was manufactured between 1915 and 1967.  All but two of my coke bottles have the Coca Cola logo embossed on them. (The wooden crate is pretty cool, too.)

The classic 6.5oz embossed bottles in wooden crate
Cedarmere Farm

The other two are called ACL (Applied Color Label) bottles because the logo was baked (through a special process) on the bottles.  Those came out between 1955 and the 1990's.

One has the logo Coca Cola

 Classic 6.5oz ACL bottle

The other has the logo Coke.  This one also has a return-for-deposit baked on it.

Classic 6.5oz return-for-deposit ACL bottle

Apparently, the bottom of a bottle can help experts identify the value of a bottle.  All except one of my bottles have the location where they were manufactured embossed under them.  One way experts can tell the value of a bottle is the way the name of the city was embossed (e.g., the size of the lettering) and how small the city is.  Another way is the circular rim around the bottom of the bottle.

Look at the two bottles below.  They were both manufactured in Salisbury, MD, but they look completely different.  From the little that I know, the top one is older than the bottom one (which might even be a reproduction(?)).


Vintage coke bottle








Vintage coke bottle
















Look at the pictures below and you will see the various different ways bottles were marked.  The first bottle was from Charlottesville, VA.  It's about 30 minutes from our farm.

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm

Vintage coke bottle
Cedarmere Farm


Help me identify these bottles if you know the
 Coca Cola manufacturing history.

                                                       Thanks, Christa




24 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea--that first picture is perfect! So many bright pretty flowers--such a fresh country look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      Thank you. It was really fun to try to salvage a few flowers and make an arrangement out of them. Thank you for visiting me.
      Christa

      Delete
  2. Christa... What a charming idea! Small coca cola bottles bring back such sweet memories of my childhood. Seeing them filled with such lovely flowers is just an added bonus! You have a virtual geography lesson with the locations on your bottles. I hope someone can help you with their history. Your photographs are awesome... As always so enjoyed my visit! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      It's too bad coke doesn't come in small bottles like those any more. Me too, I hope someone will help me identify my bottles. That would be a lot of fun.
      Christa

      Delete
  3. Love! Your best one yet. And indeed the photos are fabulous.

    Hope I walk into a shop filled with beautiful flowers like this tomorrow.

    Thanks for having us out to the farm :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      That's so nice of you to say that. You've made my day. Thank you,
      Christa

      Delete
  4. What a great find. The arrangement looks wonderful. So much colour. Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,
      Very soon we will rely on your blog to send us the wonderful colors of Spring and Summer flowers in Australia.
      Christa

      Delete
  5. I adore old bottles, especially if they could always come with an old crate like this. My husband would have a fit too, but I'd be buying like you Christa. And look how gorgeous they look with all your flowers. Coke never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,
      I am obsessed with old bottles! I think they look so cool all by themselves. I just bought one that is quite funny looking (but very practical). I will share a picture of it on my blog soon. Thank you for visiting.
      Christa

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to display beautiful flowers. I have a box that is similar but only holds eight. Probably much more recent. It is how I carry posy bouquets to market. What a treasure you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      What a charming and clever way to carry posy bouquets to market.
      Christa

      Delete
  7. Your vibrantly coloured flowers are absolutely beautiful, Christa. It's an ingenious use of the bottles and I envy you the fine crate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mise,
      Thank you. I was so happy when I finally figured out how to use those coke bottles in a flower arrangement.
      Christa

      Delete
  8. Hi Christa, That's a wonderful idea and your flowers are so happy, now I'm happy! The bottles from all over are fascinating, I like the size. You might find this website interesting: http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/ETclanSETH114/bottlehistory.html
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia,
      You are so sweet to locate that site for me. It's an interesting site; lots of information. Thank you,
      Christa

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely variety of flowers in your arrangements. I think I remember seeing some coke bottles stashed in the back of our well house, but I have not yet ventured in there to get it cleaned out. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan,
      You should pull them out and use them as vases. The coke bottles themselves are so fun and cute that it would be fun to make arrangements with them.
      Christa

      Delete
  10. I love all the old bottles and all the flower arrangements. Just lovely and a great way of displaying all the flowers.
    xo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid,
      I am glad you liked them. Thank you for your nice comment.
      Christa

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh! I'm not sure how I missed this post from last month, so thanks for pointing it out to me. You're absolutely right, I do love this post. My mouth dropped open when I saw the Coke crate with all those bottles filled with those beautiful flowers. It's just spectacular!!!

    I have an old Coke crate (a bit more beat up than yours) that I have turned on its side in my craft room and filled with small bottles of paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,
      You ARE as crazy about old bottles as I am. I thought you might enjoy this post. I have a few interesting bottles that I will share once I can come up with some fun arrangements for them.
      Christa

      Delete
  12. Ah, how nice to meet another bottle lover :-)
    But mine are plastic Evian bottles. I love those for photography.
    Your flower pictures are so cheery.
    Maybe we ought to start a bottle photo link-up one day

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bottles, the flowers, the farm - all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete