Monday, October 21, 2013

Flowers In the House - October

House Of Dahlias


Dahlias are one of my favorite flowers (as you can see from the photo background, we have a Dahlia print on our curtains!).  At first glance, Dahlias might appear difficult to grow because they look so intricate and delicate; on the contrary, they are very easy to grow, being rather sturdy with quite a long vase life.


Dahlias In Breakfast Room

I thought it would be fun to fill the first floor of our house with Dahlias.  However, so as not to overwhelm my husband with too many intense colors (to see other Dahlias we grow on our farm, go to the Post on Dahlias at http://cedarmerefarm.blogspot.com/2013/09/dahlias.html), I decided to use just the softer-colored ones.  Light-colored Dahlias are especially important in our breakfast/family room because it already has a vibrant deep pink accent wall and big and colorful Dahlias printed on the curtains.

Accent wall connecting breakfast room and family room






Accent wall











Dahlia print on our curtain




Dahlia print on our curtain


Dahlias In Family Room

Dahlias In Dining Room

Dahlias In Dining Room

Dahlias In Living Room

Dahlias and Lisianthus In Bathroom 


Hop over to Jane's blog smallbutcharming     
to see many many wonderful arrangements. 
Have fun,
     Christa





14 comments:

  1. I'm loving all these dahlias. I'm also wondering why I don't have any in my house courtesy of Cedarmere Farm?

    You could have gotten away with it if you hadn't posted the evidence on my blog!

    Next year, okay?

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [Smile]. Will some pumpkin bread or muffin make up for it?

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I love the look of your flowers, Christa, but what really stands out for me is how well they fit with your gorgeous wall color and curtains. Such a fun post and so pretty to look at. I looked twice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      Wow, I love your comment! Thank you.
      Christa

      Delete
  3. Having serious dahlia envy today. Mind fed rabbits all spring, so not many flowers and absolutely nothing this pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Webb,
      Next time you cut your hair, save it and hide it under the mulch around your Dahlias. This works very well for us at the farm with deer and rabbits.
      Christa

      Delete
  4. Wow! These are so stunning. I so love them and never plant them cause I'm too lazy in the Fall to pull out the bulbs. I need to have a talk with myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia,
      Yes, definitely talk with yourself. Although it's a pain to dig them up every year, they flower continuously for so many months that it's worth the trouble. Try just one or two next year. Make sure you locate the ones you really like. You won't regret it. Can't wait till next Fall!
      Christa
      Christa

      Delete
  5. Christa... Wondered how you could possibly top the blooms in the Coke bottles/crate, but you have! I am so crushing on these gorgeous dahlias and that awesome paint color and drapery combo! Definitely have dahlias on my list for Spring 2014, but may need some pointers... I know just the one to ask! Just lovely! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      I am all yours. I would love for you to try some Dahlias next spring.
      Christa

      Delete
  6. mmm beautiful colours and dahlias. I like the most the photo with the plant of the
    big leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia,
      I like that photo too. I think it's fun to mix a flower arrangement with potted plants. Thank you for visiting.
      Christa

      Delete
  7. EVERYONE should plant dahlias. The advice you gave Amelia is good: start with a few and get hooked, then plant a crop!
    These are such pretty colors. What other colors did you grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley,
      Some of the colors are difficult to describe. You can see most of what we have this year at http://cedarmerefarm.blogspot.com/2013/09/dahlias.html I think I am going to try another one next spring.
      Christa

      Delete