Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sweet Valentines - Project #1

With Valentine's Day coming within the next few weeks, I am going to share with you my Valentine's projects. (Today is also the perfect day to take pictures of my projects because the sun is shining brilliantly -- perfect for Karen's Sunlit Sunday fun!)


Lavender Bouquets and Fragrant Fireplace Bouquets


We have quite a few lavender plants at our farm, and they did very well this past season.  Lavender is beautiful when fresh, and the fragrance intensifies as it dries.  For that reason, lavender is one of the perfect flowers to work with in the winter.  I find lavender to be rather romantic, so as I was wondering what Valentine's gifts to make for our local market, my abundant inventory of lavender jumped right to mind.  (If you want to see what I made last year, go to Little Valentines post).



Fresh Lavender

Our dear friend came to help me harvest our lavender,
It was very hot that day, and boy, was I happy to have 
an extra set of hands!
July 2013, Cedarmere Farm

July 2013, Cedarmere Farm



May 2013, Cedarmere Farm


May 2013, Cedarmere Farm

























Lavender Bouquets

The simplest (but sweetest and most versatile) gifts to make are lavender bouquets.  These can be given to almost anyone, regardless of age (very few people are allergic to them or don't like their fragrance).  I like to wrap my bouquets in clear cellophane sleeves.  This way the flowers are completely protected on their way to their new permanent homes, yet clearly visible.  Make sure that the lavender is completely dry before placing it in cellophane or plastic sleeves because the stalks will mold very quickly (I learned this the hard way).



Lavender Bouquets


A bouquet of lavender can dress up a buffet table ...

Lavender Bouquet



    or, it can grace a wall or a door ...


Lavender Bouquet



or, it can be
displayed 
in a vase ...

























Fragrant Fireplace Bouquets

Lavender also makes delightful bouquets for your fireplace.  I like to add other dry herbs (such as thyme and rosemary), spices  (such as cinnamon sticks), and  flowers for color (such as statice and baby's breath) to my bundles.

Fragrant Fireplace Bouquets

To add a little interest and fragrance to a small room or pantry, these little bundles can be displayed as they are. They can also be added to your burning logs.  They will add color to your fire and emit a refreshing scent.  If you plan to burn them in your fireplace, make sure everything in the bundle is thoroughly dried and remove the rope.

Fragrant Fireplace Bouquets


Have fun making them!
I will be back in a few days with another project or two.

                                                                            Christa 





26 comments:

  1. Hi Christa,
    I often wondered how to harvest lavender. I have only 5 rather large plants but I'll notice. Them flowered one day as I walk the driveway saying to myself,"self cut that lavender" and self walks past another day and the flowers are gone and I'm to late. When do I cut? How do you separate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, when to cut lavender depends on what you want to do with it. In this blog, http://ewainthegarden.blogspot.com/2010/06/lavender-harvesting.html , the author explains the harvesting process really well. Although these are excellent guidelines to follow, experiment yourself because each lavender plant is slightly different. Just have fun. That's what flowers are meant for ... to have fun with them, especially lavender. Experiment, have fun, and enjoy. Christa

      Delete
  2. Lavender is my hands-down, most favorite floral fragrance ... thought it would be roses, didn't you? I don't have dried flowers in the house, though, because it feels like bad Feng Shui to decorate with dead things. Lavender is my one exception, I love it THAT much. I even keep a lavender sachet in my car, that a refresh every so often with lavender essential oil. (want to add even MORE lavender to your day ... you can get liquid Lavender castille soap at Target ... gives a simple hand washing a little extra something.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, when I am too lazy to go buy lavender essential oil, to refresh an older lavender sachet, I gently squeeze the flowers. This releases new fragrance very nicely. Try that and see how you like it. Christa

      Delete
  3. I planted lavender this past spring, so next year I should have plenty to play with in the winter months. I love the idea of the fireplace bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it. It's so nice to create a little spring time inside when it's cold out.

      Delete
  4. I have some lavender in my garden, but nothing to rival the wonderful crop of it that you grow. The scent is heavenly and you've shown some lovely ways to use it in the home. I would happily exchange the few sprigs in my house for one of your massive bouquets of lavender! Beautiful.

    Thank you for sharing your sweetly scented post at Sunlit Sunday, Christa.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I should send you some. I have a lot. Christa

      Delete
  5. I love lavendar. After visiting a lavender farm I purchased 8 plants for a lavender garden. I still don't know when, how or if I should prune them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, this blog explains when to harvest your lavender (depending on what you want to do with your lavender) http://ewainthegarden.blogspot.com/2010/06/lavender-harvesting.htm and this youtube explains (very nicely) how to prune your lavender http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5pJs99MV28. Remember that lavender doesn't like to have wet feet. That is the most common reason that causes a lavender plant to do poorly or even die. You will love having your lavender to play with. Have fun, Christa

      Delete
  6. I just love lavender and have 2 very old plants in my garden that I harvest from. Not much compared to yours but I get several small bouquets that I have around the house. I also give some to friends. Love the smell of lavender!! Have a great week. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela, lavender is like an everlasting flower that doesn't really die. After it's no longer fresh looking, it sends out fresh smelling scent that will last for years. Simply an amazing flower!

      Delete
  7. Lavender grows here and I harvested some in the summer. It's lovely to combine with rose petals for sachets. When I rub the lavender flowers from the stems, I save the stems to throw onto winter fires. These are lovely ideas you've shared with us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, I agree. I like the way lavender and roses look together. The colors, shapes, and textures look very nice together. They smell good together too.

      Delete
  8. Hi Christa,

    Such delightful designs, both in today's post as well as last year's wreath and butterfly sachets! All very pretty ways to use this most aromatic scent all through the year! Thanks for the beautiful photos of your creativity!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poppy, I am so glad you like them. Do you grow lavender?

      Delete
  9. Hello Christa, I love lavender and your bouquets are so sweet. Lovely idea to add them to the fireplace.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and your sweet comment. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. Mmmmm. My imagination is helping me smell the aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for dropping by my post; I'm hit and miss with blogging while on vacation. I'm glad I visited your lavender projects post as I do grow a fair bit myself around our home and use the plants in various ways to enjoy the scent.
    I enjoy baking with lavender on occasion too, it adds a pleasant delicate flavour, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, I am going to follow your blog so I can learn more about growing and using lavender.

      Delete
  12. Christa... Lovely lavender post! More projects, can't wait! Happy weekend...Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope you will like the next project too. Christa

      Delete
  13. Hi Christa,
    I love lavender. Have to plant some more so I have to pick for bouquets! Better put in an order.
    Have a lovely Valentine's Day!
    xoxo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid, YES grow more lavender. It's so much fun to have them around, especially in the winter.

      Delete