Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sweet Valentines - Project #2



Last Sunday, I showed you two Valentine's gifts I had made.  Today, I am going to show you two more.  


Lavender Sachet Basket




What I used

This is a very simple project.  I used a few basic and inexpensive items: a basket the size of my palm, some globe amaranth (gomphrena globosa), lavender buds, a few pressed asparagus ferns (asparagus plumosa), a small piece of tulle fabric, and a hot glue gun.  The globe amaranth, the lavender, and the asparagus ferns are a pleasure to grow and dry.  They require very little care during the growing season and dry effortlessly.  The fresh and dried globe amaranth flowers look almost indistinguishable from each other; the lavender smells more fragrant when dried; and the asparagus fern retains its natural color beautifully.



Steps to Follow

Step 1: Glue down the tulle fabric (to prevent the lavender buds from falling through the basket openings).


Step 2: Glue the globe amaranth around the basket rim, layering them at random.  After you are happy with the fullness of the flower ring, fill in the gaps with smaller flower heads. 


Step 3: Insert and glue a few ferns among the flowers, again, randomly.





Step 4: Pour in the lavender all the way up to the rim, just right below the flowers.


And voila!  You have a lavender sachet basket.


To display my sachet basket, I grouped it with a plant (the base of which is covered in the moss we harvested from our woods) and three of my elephants (my favorite animal!).  You can also display your sachet basket by itself on a corner of your bathroom sink or vanity, or on your nightstand.  Actually, if you keep the flowers away from direct sunlight, you will prolong their natural colors. 




Lavender Wreath



What I used

This is also a very simple project.  I used a wreath (the easiest way is to buy ready-made from a craft store), six bunches of lavender, some ribbon, and a hot glue gun.



Steps to Follow

Step 1: Cut the lavender bunches to the length of the flared parts of the wreath.

Step 2: Hot glue the lavender branches to the flared parts of the wreath, spreading out evenly.  Don't start the stems from the middle section (marked by the oval hook) of the wreath.  There are two reasons for that.  First, it's a little cumbersome to spread the lavender branches in a fan pattern if we have to bundle them tightly at the midsection since they're stiff when dried.  In addition, if there are branches in the midsection, there will be too much volume when we tie a bow there later; the bow will look bulky.

Step 3: Wrap and glue some ribbon around the midsection, making sure you cover the ends of the lavender branches.  Tie and glue a big bow around the middle to hide these. 


And that's it!  
It's ready to adorn your door or your buffet table.



Another sunny day for Karen's Sunlit Sunday fun
(be sure to visit Karen's blog for wonderful Sunlit photos ).

Have a wonderful Sunday, 
                                                                       Christa




BTW:  When I grouped the lavender sachet basket with other items to create an arrangement, I followed the Odd Composition Rule.  My arrangement has 3 subjects (plant, sachet, elephants), an odd number within each subject (1 plant, 1 sachet, 3 elephants), and together, they form a group of odd numbers (5).  You can read more about why I think it's important to follow the Odd Composition Rule when making an arrangement and designing a garden herehere and here.  



26 comments:

  1. Christa,

    What pretty projects for Valentine's Day, or any day, for that matter, as they both bring such brightness and beautiful scents to one's space. Thanks for the easy step-by-step instructions. You make it look so effortless!

    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, they are actually very easy to make. You should try making them.

      Delete
  2. You have brought another two beautiful projects to Sunlit Sunday this week, Christa. I can see I'll need to plant some more lavender this year.

    The basket is gorgeous and I can think of the perfect spot for the wreath. You must have a very pretty home!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you. I actually no longer have the 4 gifts I made. I sold them to one of our local markets. It's a good thing this market likes my products, otherwise my house would look like a gift shop. :)

      Delete
  3. Both are so pretty (and I love your elephants).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephants are my favorite animals. I am hoping to go to Thailand this summer and maybe I can ride an elephant. That would be amazing.

      Delete
  4. I can almost smell the lavender through the computer. How very beautiful; you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are very nice. Happy Valentine's Day

      Delete
  5. Beautiful.. I love lavender and these both look so wonderful. Coming over from Sunlit Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlys, thank you for coming over for a visit. And thank for your kind comment. Happy Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm....and I just happen to have a bag of dried lavender. You have me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!! It's fun and relaxing. The lavender scent will make you feel really good too.

      Delete
  7. Gifts of flowers such as these are so welcome and pretty. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they last for a long long time too. Happy Valentine's Day, Lorrie (proud grandma!)

      Delete
  8. Clever project. I have lots of dried globe amaranth and never thought of gluing the heads onto something. Ideas like yours are why I love the blogger world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The globe amaranth are amazing. They look so fragile, but they don't mind being handled. And they last a long long time. I am planning to make a wreath with just globe amaranth. I think it will look very sweet. You should try that too.

      Delete
  9. Yes, your elephants are gorgeous (and lucky!) Great projects Christa. I could never tire of the scent of lavendar. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You noticed the elephants' trunks curving up! I have been told that's very important to bring good luck.

      Delete
  10. Another attractive gift idea Christa - thank you for your tutorial!
    It looks beautiful and as I'm off to bed soon I'll dream of lavender tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two beautiful projects! It'll be a while befor the lavender blooms in my gardens. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember to harvest them so you can play with them next winter. After you dry them thoroughly, box them up and keep them away from sunlight. If you are like me, you will forget about them and then get very excited when you open the box next winter.

      Delete
  12. très joli projet
    "" SI LA VIE N'EST QU'UN PASSAGE , SUR CE PASSAGE AU MOINS SEMONS DES FLEURS
    Montaigne
    tendresse
    edith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci de votre visite et votre gentil commentaire. Bonne Saint-Valentin.

      Delete
  13. You have some great images on your blog. Thanks for visiting my blog recently. Following you now. Hope to see you back soon. Take care.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, I am very flattered. Thank you. Your blog is amazing. You are a very talented photographer. Christa

      Delete