Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Unintended Green Thumb



Look at what I found under my stove!


Yes, sprouting onions!  I keep my onion and garlic in an earthen crock under my stove.  It seems I had carelessly dropped a big bag of onions on top of the crock, and because the bag was bigger than the crock opening, it draped over the jug in such a way as to create the perfect environment (I don't know what that would be) for the onions at the bottom of the crock to sprout beautifully.


The Magic of Sunlight

Green with Happiness



A Few Days Out in the Sun

Having never planted an onion before, I decided to see what an onion plant would look like.  I moved it to our breakfast room (the same room where rainbows periodically appear -- see Sunlit Sunday - Rainbow in the House post), and just a few short days later, this is what it looks like ...


... reaching and happily absorbing morning sunlight ...


A Week Later

As the onion leaves reach for the sun, they straighten out and become much greener.




I decided to place the onion bulbs in a bowl of water (I have to watch them carefully for mold) and cover them with two types of moss Bob and I harvested during our walk in the woods a few weeks ago. (When harvesting moss, it's very important to leave some behind so it can reproduce. There are so many varieties of moss in our woods that we can easily open a business!  We also saw very interesting tree fungi -- a topic for a future post.)





Sunlight All Day 

These onion plants are growing very fast.  I think because they get sun all day long.



 Morning Sun



Afternoon Sun

The afternoon sun casts a beautiful shadow on our pink wall as it descends.






Late Afternoon/Early Evening Sun




Think Spring! 
              And visit Karen's Sunlit Sunday,                 
           Christa





33 comments:

  1. Hi, Christa

    You've taken an unintentional occurrence and turned it into a sculptural planting. I like how you've caught it in different lighting; the nighttime one looks very dramatic.

    I wonder what will happen next!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask! I have been using the green part of the onion in place of scallion. I am also waiting for them to flower. Onion flowers are actually quite pretty.

      Delete
  2. It will be fun to see what the end result of planting the onion will be. For now, it's pretty in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should slow down on cutting and using the green parts for cooking then? :) Onion flowers are actually quite beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you can either move it outside or keep it growing. I have to wonder if the tops will bloom like alum. Wonderful how you captured the light throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to plant it outside when the weather warms up. I think they will have a better chance of flowering outside. I hope they will flower!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful light and shadows and a nice idea with the moss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mascha. I happened to be nearby all day that day and saw that the sun was on the plants the entire day. The lighting kept me entertained while I did my boring papework.

      Delete
  5. Such stunning captures of the play of light and shadow on the wall.
    Really Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. The sun was particularly strong that day. It was really fun to watch it move around the plants all day.

      Delete
  6. Maybe I ought to sprout some onions to create a lovely planter too. ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humm!?! The leaves get really long and messy looking because they flop over. You might need to trim them often (which can be a good thing because you can eat them!).

      Delete
  7. Yes...I think a lot of us are thinking Spring along with you. Those are great sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. I am glad you like them. Christa

      Delete
  8. Yes- the onion flowers will be lovely- and once they bloom- you can gather the seeds to replant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, thank you for that information. It will be fun to see if I can actually grow onion!

      Delete
  9. How cool! You certainly do have a green thumb!

    I love this!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see how fast the onion leaves changed once out in the sun. Now, my challenge will be to see if I can get them to flower. Wish me luck.

      Delete
  10. Oooh they just look like fingers or arms reaching up and stretching. I like your moss idea, looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christa...you are such a clever girl...take sprouted onions and turn them into a thing of beauty! Awesome photos and use of natural light! Now I wish that I had saved that sprouted single onion from Saturday's guacamole that daughter-in-love made for us.;-) hehehe Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't everything look so much better in the sun?! Your sprouting onions have the looks of an exotic beauty. They are further intriguing against the bright pink wall; such drama from a buried treasure!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! The sun can turn a common plant into something interesting, even intriguing!

      Delete
  13. Maybe it will even flower for you! You can put the flowers in a salad.
    Have a good week!
    xo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea to put the onion flowers in a salad. That's going to look so pretty. Thanks, Ingrid.

      Delete
  14. What a fun post this was to read and view! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I am so glad you enjoyed this post. I had a lot of fun composing it. Christa

      Delete
  15. Now, this is amazing!!!
    Love the shadow cast with the sunlight also.

    Truly a green thumb...unintended tho at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, thank you. I was amazed at what sunlight can do to a common plant. Christa

      Delete
  16. I must say that they make a great 'plant'! It's quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete