Sunday, May 25, 2014

On the Farm -- Meet Our Bovine Crew






Our Tarentaise Family


Our cows are from a breed called Tarentaise.  This breed was named in 1859 and bears the name of its place of origin, the Tarentaise Valley in the French Alpine mountains.  This breed provides natural muscling, increased milk productivity, excellent fertility, longevity, feet and legs built to travel, length and thickness in a moderate frame, and adaptability to widely varied environment in the French Alps.  Europeans selected this breed primarily for milk production and fertility.  The first Tarentaise bull calf arrived in Canada in 1972.  In 1973, the American Tarentaise Association was formed. 

In the collage above, you can see one cow (black and white) that looks different from his mother, aunt, brother and cousin.  This is Jean Luke.  He is the by product of crossing his Tarentaise mother with his Hereford father.  This cross breeding was developed to improve both meat and milk production, especially for cows in arid or semi-arid environments.  If you are interested in learning more about this breed, go to www.americantarentaise.org

Our Tarentaises came to us as a family - two sisters and their babies.  The fifth cow was born on our farm.


The Matriarch Sisters

Mimi and Sophie



The Offspring

Minimimi

Jean Luke


Our Newest Addition

This baby was born on our farm.  Doesn't he look like a wrinkly old man?


It was amazing to see how fast he got up on his wobbly feet ...


In no time at all, he took steady steps under his Mom's watchful eyes ...


The new addition is one year old in the photo below ...


Jean Pierre


Human Companion

Our cows have been raised to enjoy human company.  They are very sweet and will let us pet them.




In fact, I think they like being touched!  Look at that happy face ... 




Field Ornaments - Worth It?

Hubby said these adorable guys are my expensive field ornaments.  Wouldn't you agree that they are worth every penny to have around? 


Mother & Daughter

Look at those eyes!  How can one not be smitten?  (Only French cows would have eye make up on!)


How can you not love that adorable face?


And those curls?




OK, so, maybe I should learn how to make gruyere cheese.  This way, maybe hubby will let me breed more of these adorable bovines!



I am joining Mosaic Monday.  Would you hop over there with me?

36 comments:

  1. It was great to get to know them, they are amazing creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mersad, yes they are amazing in many ways. Christa

      Delete
  2. Christa..how delightful! I can't imagine that your dear husband would not understand the need for tasteful..no pun intended...yard or farm ornamentation! We have lived in two different places where cows were pastured behind us. Such amazing creatures...except when they decided to come through the fence into my backyard! My shooing them away from our front yard and the highway was a sight to behold! Your gals and guys are quite handsome! Smiles...Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were very brave to deal with those huge creatures (especially when they didn't know you). Even our own sweet guys, I always hesitated to get them to go back behind their fence.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, they are all just adorable. I love their eyes and pretty faces.. The baby is adorable.. Great shots, thanks for sharing. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I am glad you like them too. Have a nice week. Christa

      Delete
  4. I love a day when I learn something new. Beautiful breed of cow. Perfect for a place as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, they are very pretty, aren't they? They have a sweet disposition too.

      Delete
  5. I'm smitten! Such lovely, happy looking cows. They look like their in really good condition. Very handsome. All the best, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonny, we were smitten too the very moment we met them. We couldn't help but bring all 4 home with us (what were we thinking!).

      Delete
  6. LOVE your field ornaments! They have such sweet eyes, beautiful colour, soft fur... There's so much to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE perfect, aren't they? What I love the most about them is that they are very sweet and they like human companion.

      Delete
  7. They are beautiful...I want to pet every one ! :) Love the baby just born pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That baby picture makes me smile every time I see it. He has such a sour expression on his face. I don't know whether you can see his tongue sticking out or not. :)

      Delete
  8. They are so beautiful. Love seeing the baby's progression, looked like a little lamb, then a little dog, now a stubborn little calf. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. The baby DID look like different animals as he grew.

      Delete
  9. I love cows! I think it's the brown eyes. ;) Your Tarentaise Family is very handsome. I enjoyed reading about the breed and seeing your little herd. They make great field ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED totally! I should have more, don't you think?

      Delete
  10. They are absolutely beautiful - and I felt a little smug after thinking 'those are Swiss or French cows' to find out that I was right! Love the 'eye makeup'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's so funny! What made you think they were either Swiss or French?

      Delete
  11. They really are cute, especially the little baby. You're so lucky to have so much land to raise and enjoy them. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we are, Betsy. Life in the country is so much more peaceful. We also have great auctions out here. You should look online for auctions near you. You can find amazing things for next to nothing for your projects.

      Delete
  12. Your wonderful photos touch my heart Christa!
    I love cows too - I would love to pat each one!
    They are lovely animals and quite human in some ways - they're so nosey!!!
    A gorgeous post and great mosaics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they seem to know that they are part of the same family. They always hang out together. If we don't see all of them in a group, we would know someone has broken out of the fenced area.

      Delete
  13. Oooh I love theses cow photos, Christa! They are awesome field ornaments and make my obsession with two little box turtles seem like nothing! I should have my husband read this post! LOL. I have to ask though...are you raising them to eventually be a food source? I love a good steak or burger as much as the next gal, but I don't think I could eat something that had once felt like a pet. Not to mention the smiles and those awesome curls! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids (and me too) will all become vegetarians if we serve one of these guys for dinner. My husband said it was a big mistake to let me name the cows. We get our grass fed beef from a local farmer.

      Delete
  14. If I had the room I would have a cow for a pet, yours are beautiful and adorable. I assume they are pets then as you said field ornaments. That's wonderful, at least some got lucky and have a great life.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice,
      Yes, they are pets. We get our grass-fed beef from a local farmer.

      Delete
  15. Ahhhh....a baby! How sweet! They all look beautiful and well cared for! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cows are very easy pets so it's fun to have them.

      Delete
  16. These are lovely Bovine's. I like the mixed colored one and the shot in the upper right corner almost looks as if it's part Bison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jean Luke is very interesting looking too. Because of his coloring, he looks a little mean, but he is very sweet just like the rest of his family.

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful series of photo's. That baby photo is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby was very fun to watch. His mother and aunt were very protective of him when he was little.

      Delete
  18. This is a beautiful cow breed. As a farmer's daughter I am fond of cows and you made such a lovely post about your Tarantaises. They are all nice but Jean Luke is a special beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janneke,
      I agree with you that Jean Luke is a very handsome boy. His coloring is interesting. He looks a little mean, but he is as sweet as the rest of his family.

      Delete