Thursday, May 15, 2014

Slow Down and Listen


The theme for this week's Friday My Town Shoot Out is bridges.  As I set out to look for bridges in our part of the county, I was thoroughly disappointed because they were pretty innocuous (actually, most of them were downright ugly!). 

This one, for example, is nothing to write home about!  It's totally utilitarian!



BUT, during this search, I realized that hidden under those utilitarian structures were gorgeous sites worth stopping for.  The photos below were what I found looking down from the bridge in the photo above.




And when I looked down from this bridge ...



... this was what I found ...


I was struck by how beautiful the river was, so I went off the road down to the river for a closer look.

In the photo below, you can see that the water was flowing gently over a large smooth surface before crashing down a drop, creating a small rapid.  I love the juxtaposition of these two images.  Before the drop, the reflections on the water gave the impression that the water was stagnant; but the rapid that followed showed that the water was actually flowing at a fast pace.




And then the river twisted and swirled around boulders as it rushed further downstream on the other side of the bridge.




Thanks to the Friday My Town Shoot Out theme, I realized that when driving in the countryside, especially through mountains and valleys, I should take my time and leave my car windows down.  By doing that, I would be alerted to the existence of beautiful lively streams rushing beneath me.  



Next time you drive through the country, 
especially the mountains and valleys, 
make sure to take your time and listen.  

                                                             Christa



I am also linking with Mosaic Monday

21 comments:

  1. Good morning Christa!
    Your bridge in the scenic landscape is so lovely!! It is something nostalgic for me.I believe that the water and the air there must be fresh.
    Thanks to your beautiful blog"Cedarmere Farm" I found" Friday My Town Shoot out".
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning (actually Good evening) Tomoko,
      I am glad you found "Friday My Town Shoot Out." Isn't it a wonderful blog? Have a nice weekend. Christa

      Delete
    2. Christa, your bridges are just like those around here that I've posted about so many times before. I had to go to town to find something different. The bridges might be better in town but I find the view from our local bridges so much lovelier. Yours are delightful and your stream is like ours in a number of ways. I love your three shots of smooth water falling, sparkling with life.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful rivers, Christa. And how sensible of you to forget about the bridges themselves and look for the beauty. There seemed to be a period in England in the 20th Century when utilitarian bridges were built but fortunately most places have now realised that they can make beautiful ones at just the same cost. I now want to leave my computer and go and sit by your rivers and watch the birdlife...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fortunate, indeed. Beautiful bridges add so much to our landscape.

      Delete
  3. Lovely shots, Christa. The other thing that delights me is the sound of the river going by. For me it's almost - almost, but not quite - as good as the sound of the waves lapping the shore at the seaside. Have a great weekend, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you. I LOVE the sound of the ocean waves lapping the shore. I look forward to our yearly trip to the beach every summer. I get up early every day to watch the sun rise and listen to the waves and sea gulls before the beach gets crowded.

      Delete
  4. Lots of lovely water shots here. Your journey down the road/river was very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I walked down to the river. I sat there for quite awhile just listening to the water. It was very peaceful and relaxing.

      Delete
  5. There's always something beautiful to be found if we only take the time to look (and listen.) Love all the rushing water shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I was glad that I took the time to go down to the rivers. I had a wonderful day that day.

      Delete
  6. Christa...I think your very useful bridges were hidden treasures underneath! I am enjoying your interpretations of the Friday My Town challenges. We get to see more of the awesome countryside surrounding you... Great photos! Smiles...Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I was very excited to discover beautiful streams around us, thanks to Friday My Town challenge.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to this group. That is exactly what awakened me to the unnoticed beauty around. FSO had made such a difference in my enjoyment of photography and life. Your post and narration were so fun to read. Excellent development of this theme. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy. I find FSO's topics very interesting and I really enjoy seeing photos from all over the world.

      Delete
  8. Nice shots! I like to shoot from bridges but sometimes it's hard to frame a shot without getting trash in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes we just have to look at the familiar in a different way to find something quite special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! The post and the message to slow down and look at things in a different perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, thank you. I am glad you stopped by. Christa

      Delete