Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Real Life "Angry Bird"

Some of you might have seen the logos for the Angry Birds video game -- they are wingless birds with big frowns and crossed eyes.  This is one of them ...

"Angry Birds promo art" by Source. Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Angry_Birds_promo_art.png#/media/File:Angry_Birds_promo_art.png


Well, I encountered one in real life that reminded me of those fabulously clever caricatures.  Bob and I went for a walk one day and I spotted a little blue head sticking out of a birdhouse.



As the little blue head spotted me, it became visibly wary.


I only had a basic point-and-shoot camera with me, so I had to get closer to take a close-up photo of it.  This tree swallow was very protective of its nest.  As I inched closer, it became VERY annoyed.



It gave me the evil eye (as if it were hoping that it could intimidate me).  Its dark angry stare only made it look even more striking as its blue feathers glistened under the bright sunshine. 



As I didn't go away, it leaned out to examine me and threw rapid chirps my way, clearly highly agitated at this point.



It grew quite angry as I got even closer; a little frightened, too, I think, as it retreated into its nest.  Still, it stood guard over its nest, blocking the entire entrance.  It appeared to be ready to dive bomb the giant that kept getting dangerously close.  



Doesn't it look like it could be part of the Angry Birds gang?




I am linking with 

Wild Bird Wednesday
Outdoor Wednesday
Saturday Critters
Mosaic Monday
Macro Monday 2
Amaze Me Monday
Macro Monday Mixer
Our World Tuesday





29 comments:

  1. You got that right.
    the contrast of the blue and the wood is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm seeing Tippi Hedren in The Birds, haha.

    Those are great shots with the head poking out. I love the "rapid chirps" part. You really caught the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG indeed that looks like an angry bird to me!! Lol!!

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. truly beautiful - in an angry sort of way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christa... That was a definite angry bird... "back off, humans"... Beware of the nest protector look!! Great capture... photo-wise!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this! Such a beautiful blue bird, but angry indeed. How dare you intrude? :-)
    Marvelous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angry maybe but so darned cute! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yes they are rightly very protective of their nest and have a right to be angry if one goes to close to them. lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes this swallow was really angry and protecting his nest, but you captured some wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A cute angry bird. I love the swallows..Great series of images, Christa! Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tree Swallows, one of my most favorite birds, so, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have certainly been given 'the evil eye' for getting too close.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bird is definitely giving you a death ray glare, but it's amazing how close you were able to get and what great shots of the bird's coloring against the wood of the nest box!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angry indeed! Great job in getting so close without being pecked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bird...and a little annoyed looking, for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! He doesn't look pleased with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tree swallows can be very protective of their nests, can't they? Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful birds and awesome that they are nesting. Keep an eye out for them from a distance so that they have a successful brood!

    ReplyDelete
  19. An angry bird indeed! Very nice pictures. Thats a bird I like to have visit my garden.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant bird, keeping its eye on you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good Morning Christa, thank you so much for linking up, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are great photos, even if taken with a point-and-shoot (some of my best ones are from my Coolpix). That is one brave little bird. She certainly does look annoyed! And you're right, she looks like she should be a bird on Angry Birds.
    Visiting from Macro Monday 3. Would love if you shared your "Angry Bird" at my Macro Monday Mixer. http://allthevs.com/macro-monday-mixer-3/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful bird and wonderful captures of its various expressions!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  24. The eye says it all. Great photos from a point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Christa, I laughed as I read your post. Angry Bird for sure and beautiful bird as captured by your great photos. Be glad it wasn't a Red Wing Black Bird because he would have dive bombed you for sure ... they seem to be fearless (you propably have seen them as they chase a big hawk away from their nest). Great shots and story ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL, she really does look angry with that dark streak over the eye. Pretty bird though. Those are great photos for a point and shoot camera.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice captions. The bird did her best though to protect her territory:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my! He's definitely giving you the 'look'! What great photos! You are GOOD! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  29. strange, never seen a bird staying put like this. They usually get in or out VERY quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete